Have you ever stopped to think about your dyslexia in a positive way? So many amazing and successful people have dyslexia – their success is most likely due to their strengths and personalities, but also due to the challenges they’ve faced in school and life and the ways they’ve handled these challenges.
Below are some interesting facts, stats and celebrity quotes about dyslexia that we’d love you to share with your friends and family! Feel free to reuse these images on your social media networks (we’d appreciate an @mention or link back to this page if you do).
Statistics & Facts - for images, see bottom of page
- The British intelligence agency employs over 100 'neuro-diverse' spies
- Dyslexia is genetic and commonly runs in families.
- Dyslexic individuals often enjoy and are good at solving puzzles.
- Research shows that an equal number of boys and girls have dyslexia.
- UK entrepreneurs are five times more likely to have dyslexia than the average UK citizen.
- It’s estimated that more than half of the population's dyslexic people haven’t been identified yet.
Quotes - for images, see bottom of page
“Us dyslexic people, we’ve got it going on – we are the architects. We are the designers.” - Benjamin Zephaniah
- “If you’re dyslexic and you feel there’s something holding you back, just remember: it’s not you. In many ways being dyslexic is a natural way to be.” - Benjamin Zephaniah
- “It made me more creative, more social and more competitive.” - Barbara Corcoran, Shark Tank
- “Dyslexics are round pegs in square holes when it comes to school. We don’t fit that well unless our way of thinking is recognised and supported.” - Kate Griggs, Founder of Made By Dyslexia
- “9 out of 10 dyslexic [individuals] said their dyslexia made them feel angry, stupid or embarrassed” - Made By Dyslexia Research 2017
- “School was a struggle for me, people just thought I was thick. I really needed someone to help me understand my strengths.” - Jamie Oliver